Monday, June 28, 2010

My journey to the Dark Side is complete

Well, not complete. But I did buy the Windows 7, 3 user family pack for $209. I'll be installing it on the wife's PC today. I also put it on as a dual boot on my ubuntu system, for a laugh. I managed to get it to activate, using method #2 on this page, from Paul Thurrott's site. And after windows thoughtlessly overwrote the MBR on my drive, I even got my grub 2 menu back, following this excellent guide on the ubuntu forums.

One other thing I had to do on the ubuntu side of things is set the system clock to be local time, not UTC. I had to go edit the file /etc/default/rcS, and change the value UTC=yes to UTC=no. They seem to be playing OK together now. It's just a shame that windows can't see the data on my ext4/ext3/XFS partitions. I don't know if I can be bothered putting my data on an NTFS partition yet, so it can be seen by both systems. I'll see.

(Originally posted January 7, 2010 on my other blog)

No comments:

Post a Comment